Guardian Angel Faith in Action, Inc is a non-profit organization in Smyth County, 101 West Cherry Street Marion, Virginia. The program has connected volunteers and those in need in the community. We are thankful to include participation of local churches of all faiths, agencies, private citizens, and local business. Our governing Board of Directors consists of local ministers, area service agency members, and interested individuals.
This program started in 1998 when a 95 year old man who lived alone needed some assistance with house cleaning and meals. Some Social Service workers reached out to a local church for help. A few of their members started cleaning his home and taking him meals on a regular basis. There was a little money in a special welfare fund, and with such a great need in our county, it was decided to hire someone to coordinate volunteers to work with the elderly and disabled in our community. Thus, Guardian Angel was started.
A grant was received from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation which allowed us to become incorporated as Guardian Angel Faith in Action, Inc. The program phased out for a short time, but has since came back with a new board of directors who are very dedicated to restoring this much needed program in Smyth County area!
The Guardian Angel Faith in Action mission is to coordinate congregations of all denominations and the community to meet the needs of people in Smyth County, VA, whose circumstances leave them with significant financial, social, or spiritual needs. This is to be accomplished in a manner that maintains the dignity of the individual and expresses the love of Christ.
"I was hungry and you gave me something to eat. I was thirsty, and you gave me something to drink. I was alone and away from home, and you invited me into your house. I was without clothes, and you gave me something to wear. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me."
- Volunteer Care-giving - Volunteers are matched with people to provide friendly visits, light housekeeping, light yard work, other chores, and advocacy. (volunteers needed)
- Transportation/Pick-up and Delivery -Volunteers may drive care receivers to doctor appointments, treatment centers, the bank, grocery store, or pharmacy, or may pick up and deliver needed items. (volunteers needed)
- Emergency Financial Assistance - Limited assistance may be given to people who are experiencing financial crisis, such as the loss of employment, sudden illness, death of a family member, etc. (funding is limited each month please call to schedule an appointment)
- Advocacy and Referral - Volunteers and staff help people find resources and benefits that are available to them and guide them through the process of applying for the benefits.
- Volunteer Placement - Guardian Angel will provide training and placement for people who wish to use their gifts and talents in service to their community.
Board of Directors
Jane Hale, Chair Wendy Gullion, Vice Chair
Debora Martin, Secretary Alice Crockett, Treasurer
Mindy Dyer, Rev. Paul Shallenburg, Michael Armbrister, Sheena Carroll, Danny Counts